The following link will take you to a great local website. The Family Friendly Website will connect you to a community directory and calendar of events. Visit the Family Friendly Website and select your community from the drop down menu at the top of the page.
A couple great handouts created by our Staff:
- W Sitting – A habit worth Breaking
- Scissor Skills
- Oral-Motor Skills
- Equipment Use in Infants
- Crossing the Midline of our Bodies – Why it is important
- Building Infant Language
- Books: A Great place to Start
- Swaddling your Infant
- Children’s and Technology Exposure Handout
Learn About Kindergarten
The following is the Ministry of Education Curriculum Package as we are often asked what children will experience in Kindergarten and the skills they will be learning.
Recommended Reading : Great New Book by one of SPCDC favorite Author’s
Helping Babies Help Themselves: From in your arms to standing alone. Vickie Meade and Janette Heath
A delightfully illustrated journey for parents and all caregivers, this book takes the reader through movement development in the first year of life. Quick tips, key points and frequently asked questions provide clear and simple advice from ways to wrap and help babies settle, to where to place your hands to guide and assist them to move. Available on Amazon.
What should you child be doing ?
Review the Milestone Charts created by our staff to help you know what is typical development.
- Speech and Language Development for 0 – 36 months
- Physical Milestones for Year One and Year Two
- Physical Milestones for Year Three to Year Five
- Social Emotional Milestones for Children 0 – 3 years
The following websites have great resources; milestone charts, ideas to play with your children, child’s growth and development, and parenting news
- Babies Best Chance BC Gov
- Health Link BC
- Dental Care for Kids
- Immunize BC
- Hanen Centre: Helping your child communicate
- BC Council for Families
Learn About Dawson Creek
The following links will give you more information about Dawson Creek and services in our community.